prev. | next | track | email | print
Species reports Grey Literature
ThomasW

New User

Posted: Apr 13 2012, 03:53 PM
Dear RRC Team,
I am looking for the original STRATEGY AND ACTION PLAN
FOR THE CONSERVATION OF RHINOS IN INDONESIA 2007 report
The online one (http://www.dephut.go.id/files/badak_1.pdf) is missing the pictures.
Is there also a newer one available? They are writing about updating the report every 3 years...
Are you planning to add such reports (also the SUMATRAN RHINO CONSERVATION PLAN) from 1997, there must be more modern plans, to the RRC?

Thank you
-TW
Kees

Posted: Apr 17 2012, 11:49 PM
The RRC is one of the few virtual libraries where grey literature is actively collected, referenced and displayed. In my own experience, many conservation reports are very hard to obtain within a year of publication and almost impossible to access even a year later. The RRC archives these worthwhile assessments for the future.
The Conservation Strategy mentioned is on the RRC, but our copy is no better than the one available elsewhere on the internet. Maybe somebdoy has an original copy and send me the missing pages to be added to our file. The Indonesia Strategy was of course also published, so is not really part of the grey literature. As it covers the years 2007-2017, an update is not expected for some years.
Within their limitations, unpublished reports are often the only source of information about certain areas or species. They are often cited, yet not universally available. Agencies should endeavour to put these reports online, after removing any internal information that may be included.

--------------------
Kees Rookmaaker
ThomasW

New User

Posted: Apr 18 2012, 06:33 AM
Thank you,
if I read the report correctly, it covers 'only' the years 2007 - 2012. But if it goes until 2017, the proposed targets would be more realistic. Because of the 2012 date I thought there might be a newer, or updated plan published since 2007.
And yes, the RRC thankfully contains quite some great literature - worth a lot since a lot of facts about the status of the very endangered species such as the Javan and Sumatran rhino are indeed only published in such reports.

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]