user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Sumatran Rhino Studbook
Jamie_W

New User

Posted: Jan 30 2008, 04:41 PM
Is this available anywhere online? Or is there anyone I could email to obtain a copy? I would like to have a look through it for a project I am doing. I realise it won't be a very big document though!
Feddi

Posted: Jan 31 2008, 10:30 PM
Hi Jamie

The studbook of the Sumatran rhino was kept by the late Tom Foose at the IRF.
I have never found it on line.
Guess if you email them they will be helpful.

As you know trying to breed the Sumatran rhinoceros in captivity, has been a one of a very sad story. Well apart from the big succsess in Cincinnati. The staff at CREW at the Cinncinnati Zoo are extreemely helpful, so I would get in touch with them through their webside.

Listen would be nice if you could share some of your ideas with us, once your project is finished.

Good luck...

All the Best
Jamie_W

New User

Posted: Jan 31 2008, 10:42 PM
Oh man, didn't know he was dead, been reading so much of his stuff!

I will see what I can get from Terri, but information you provided in that other thread is probably good enough smile.gif

To be honest, I don't really know what I can suggest that hasn't been said already. As Mr. Foose said himself in International Zoo Yearbook 40 -

'Although there are not enough animals or husbandry and breeding success for a full population-management programme for this species, its extreme endangerment in the wild does justify continued attempts to master the science and art of breeding the species in captivity.

There are few founders and, hence, limited GD owing to high mortality of rhinoceros moved into captivity since 1984 (Foose, 2005). However, the basic reproductive and, therefore, demographic imperative for this species supersedes genetic considerations.'

At the very least least, we'd need around 30 breeding animals to maintain genetic diversity and that isn't going to happen. Probably a case of having to swipe the lot from the wild to prevent them all dieing, assuming you sidestep the ethics! Although they'll all be inbred before long anyway... hasn't hurt the elephant seals though I spose.
Kees

Posted: Feb 1 2008, 01:49 PM
The Sumatran Rhino Studbook was kept by Tom Foose until 2006. Apparently he kept the data on his computer and provided copies when needed, hence there are versions with many different dates.
I will scan the latest (2006) version of the studbook and post it on the website.
Kees

--------------------
Kees Rookmaaker
Feddi

Posted: Feb 2 2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks, will be interesting to see the sumatran rhino studbook.

One could argue it is a really depressing prospect for this highly endangered animal.
All the expencive effords since 1984 where ment to be full of promises.
However few would think now of bringing the javan rhino into captivity after the sumatran rhinoceros saga.

As always at the end of the day one has to be optimistic.

There have been really brilliant results at Cincinnati. 3 calves in 7 years is fantastic by any standards. Yes and all the science around their health, behaviour, diet and repruduction has made the prospect of captivity program much more brighter.

One could argue there will always be a possiblity of surplus animals from Way Kambas, Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park and Gunung Leuser.

And there is always the possiblity of "doomed rhinos" in Malaysia and Sumatra.
One could argue they would be better off in protected areas in the wild. Anyway that has been the argument after the Catastrophe at Sungai Dusun in Malaysia.

On the other hand the captivity program gives this highly endangered species a much larger profile, funds and help for their wild conterparts (back in the 80's no-one knew anything or even cared about the sumatran rhino).
To be realistic there is a fight for limited funds in conservation.

Well these are just my thoughts and i am far from beeing any expert in this field. But clearly a hopeless rhino fan...

Failure is better than regret.

All the Best
Kees

Posted: Feb 17 2008, 09:23 AM
Two versions of the Sumatran rhino studbook kept by Dr Tom Foose have now been uploaded to the RRC as PDF. Search for (author) Foose, and (title) studbook in the Literature search. There are files for the versions of 1999 and February 2006.

--------------------
Kees Rookmaaker
Jamie_W

New User

Posted: Mar 12 2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback you guys gave me. I'm not sure if it's really that much use to anyone, but I completed my write-up and got a Distinction for it. I have attached it to this if anyone wants a look. I do apologise for any innacuracies though, I tried to read as much as I could on these little guys but I know you're the experts!

User Attached Image Download rhino_plan.doc ( Number of downloads: 1225 )

gamusino

New User

Posted: Aug 12 2008, 11:29 AM
Here I have a small paper I did on the sumatran rhinos that where in captivity a year ago. I hope it's good enough.

User Attached Image Download Sumatran_Rhino_Reproductive_Program.doc ( Number of downloads: 813 )

gamusino

New User

Posted: Aug 12 2008, 11:31 AM
Oh I'm sorry Jamie, I didn't see you had already posted your project.
Jamie_W

New User

Posted: Aug 12 2008, 11:41 AM
That's no problem! I'm interested anyway so I will have a read of your paper later smile.gif

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]