user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Black Rhino Wallow Research
Lou Keeley

New User

Posted: May 6 2009, 03:02 PM
Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this forum, and it looks like a great source of information. I have a quick question to ask, and would be very grateful for your input.

For my Masters research project (MSU - Zoo & Aquarium Management) I will be looking at the effect that wallow access has on the welfare of captive black rhinos. I will be focusing on health issues (skin problems), thermoregulation, and the effects of biting flies.

I would like to compare data from zoos with black rhino exhibits that have wallows vs. zoos that don't have wallows. So my question to you is:

Does your zoo's black rhinos have access to some type of muddy wallow?

I am trying to figure out which zoos to sample that are relatively close to the Michigan area. Thank you all very much for your time!
RhinoKpr

New User

Posted: May 23 2009, 11:38 PM
If you are looking to sample just zoos in the Michigan area you should use the ISIS website to see who has black rhinos and then just contact someone at each facility. I know that Cleveland Zoo has Black Rhinos. Just call the zoo operator and they should be able to direct your call.

cydneyp

Posted: Jun 13 2009, 06:01 PM
Lou Keeley,

One variable that I think you should take into account is that every region has different fly seasons. I used to work in TX and think that the climate was so consistent that the flies weren't out of control. Here in WI, the flies bloom with the sudden increase in temperature and moisture. The difference in fly density is quite amazing between the several hundred mile latitude.

You can contact me @ cpeterson@racinezoo.org if you would like some data from WI.

Cydney

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]