user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Sumatran rhinoceros: Andalas Pages: (2) 1 2 
Feddi

Posted: Jun 16 2007, 08:57 PM
Would be really nice to get some news from the Way Kambas NP, Sumatra.

Especially to find out how the "star rhinoceros" Andalas is doing.
Wondering how he is coping and if he is healthy in his new tropical home? Pleased to know he is there and has a change to help to safe his species, but slightly anxious for his wellbeing, at the same time.

As he will become 6 in September, he is probably to young to breed? Or maybe no one really knows the age male Sumatran rhinoceros become sexually mature.
Would also be nice to know how the other rhinos at the breeding centre are doing?

Such a shame the old male has not been able to breed. Any reason?

Best Wishes
Willem

Administrator

Posted: Jun 17 2007, 11:43 AM
Feddi,

I've recieved word that Andalas is getting more and more interested in Rosa. He's been seeing her through the fences and has been very active, bending trees, urinating, etc.

Also, Rosa seems to be maturing and getting a more regular cycle. I think they'll start trying to put them together shortly.

--------------------
Willem van Strien - Rhino Resource Center Admin
Feddi

Posted: Jun 17 2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks allot for this.

Really Good news!
I am very impressed how well he has been looked after. Such a challenging task.
Starting to become optimistic that the captivity breeding program in Sumatra will take off shortly.
Hoping it's not to late for Bina to participate.

Very nice to get updates like this.

Thanks allot
Best Wishes
Feddi

Posted: Jul 24 2007, 07:19 PM
Hi
Any news of the world famous rhinoceros Andalas?
Well again would be a really big story if anything positive should happen so guess one has to wait for months.
Thanks allot huh.gif
Willem

Administrator

Posted: Aug 28 2007, 05:36 PM
No news, but many new photo's of Andalas have been added to the RRC image gallery.

Andalas pictures

Kind regards,

Willem

--------------------
Feddi

Posted: Aug 29 2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks so much for these photos.
The image gallery is such a brilliant thing.

Some of the photos, I am almost sure, are photos of the other rhinos in the centre, at least Ratu and I think Bina.

Someone from the centre would be able to clarify this at some stage.

Anyway thanks allot

With Best Wishes rolleyes.gif

(terrible sorry to be so anal...)
grantsmb

New User

Posted: Aug 31 2007, 09:11 AM
QUOTE (Feddi @ Aug 29 2007, 07:21 PM)
Thanks so much for these photos.
The image gallery is such a brilliant thing.

Some of the photos, I am almost sure, are photos of the other rhinos in the centre, at least Ratu and I think Bina.

Someone from the centre would be able to clarify this at some stage.

Anyway thanks allot

With Best Wishes rolleyes.gif

(terrible sorry to be so anal...)

Yes. The earlier photos in the set (up to and including the mudwallow) are presumably Andalas. He has a curved 'hook' on the front horn and is still 'hairy'

I agree the rest are of two different females. One (standing in the yard) is very reddish with little hair and much more rounded shape than Andalas. The other(walking) could be Bina- greyer and more like Andalas in shape- but front horn is different.
Feddi

Posted: Sep 23 2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks very much for sorting the photos out!
Nice to see Ratu and Torgamba.

The immage gallery is such a brilliant thing. Unfortunately I don't have any good photos. However I did send my friends from Iceland, who where on a conferance in LA on a mission to sake some photos of Andalas last year. The photos where OK but we already have much better ones in the image gallery. (But honestly what a great friends!)

Was wondering that there are possible years till Andalas will be able sire any ofsprings?
Well he is only six years of age. I seen 10 years as the time for sexual maturity in sumatran rhino males? Well I guess nobody really knows.

But great he is doing well and in good health, I saw it in a short report in the most recent Pacyderm. smile.gif
Feddi

Posted: Nov 22 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi there

Is it possible there are no recent news of the worlds most famous rhino?

The Asian rhino project has great newsletters every few months, however one is not able to read their latest news from May and August.

Getting slightly, mildly paranoid...

Willem- sure you can sort this out.

Please...

Best Regards ohmy.gif
Willem

Administrator

Posted: Nov 22 2007, 10:28 PM
Feddi,

All I know is that there's no bad news! All is fine with Andalas and he's healthy and (probably) very happy in his jungle enclosure.

Let's stick to the phrase "no news is good news".

The newsletter will probably come sooner or later and it's delay has nothing to do with anything happening in Way Kambas.

Please be patient and certainly don't worry.

regards,

Willem

--------------------
Feddi

Posted: Dec 2 2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks Willem.

The new IRF web side is very good.
Their video of Andalas being transported back to Sumatra answered some of my questions.
Apparently they do not expect him to start breeding until at least 6 months to a year and a half from now.

Good to know he is well and one will wait patently.

Best Wishes
cool.gif
grantsmb

New User

Posted: Dec 6 2007, 05:11 PM
Why is there never any news on Andalas and what's happening at Way Kambas? Even if there is nothing particularly groundbreaking to report, this is one of the most high profile conservation/breeding attempts anywhere worldwide yet there seems to be a total news blackout.

I haven't seen a single official report about what is happening since he arrived in Sumatra months ago now.
Feddi

Posted: Dec 15 2007, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone

There are some news from Way Kambas on the Asian rhino project webside.
Saw it in the annual report 2006/07. http://www.asianrhinos.org.au/

Interesting reading for rhino-fans...

There are also some news on the IRF new web side:

"After successfully adapting to life at the sanctuary during his quarantine and adjustment period, Andalas was released into a big paddock and has gradually been introduced to two young females, "Rosa" and "Ratu", living at the Sanctuary. Although he was initially scared of the other rhinos and ran away when he heard them coming, Andalas soon began exhibiting typical rhino behaviors with his peers - kicking up dirt, feigning attack, chasing, and trampling bushes."

Bless...
Rather sweet, have to say, obviously not fully mature.

But so good to know the world most famous rhino is well and happy.

All the Best wink.gif
Willem

Administrator

Posted: Dec 15 2007, 01:40 PM
Feddi, thanks for this!

I was just about to email dr. Robin Radcliff, who's at SRS right now, if he could come and give us an update as it had been long since any news came through.

Anyway good to hear something finally.

--------------------
Feddi

Posted: Dec 15 2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks Willem

Honestly as a hopeless rhino-fan, would be very pleased to to get some more news. (honestly it's a blo... addiction!)

So when ever you have time please send him a line?

I am keen to know if the have ever been able to get any viable semen from Torgamba, the old male?
I know he has sufferd recently with chronic renal failure, but from the Asian rhino project webside I learned he is in good health this autumn.

I bet Cinncinati would be able to use it and develop AI for sumatran rhinos.

Well wishful thinking,
but these peoble seems to cabable of almost anything!

All the Best

cool.gif
Pages: (2) 1 2 

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]