user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Indoor rhino viewing
CassandraS

Advanced Member

Posted: Mar 12 2008, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone,
We are in the process of gathering information for the design of a new rhino facility. We house blacks right now. We have long cold winters here in South Dakota, so I would like to hear from any zoo that has indoor viewing areas for rhino. My question is about ventilation for those areas. So you have completely indoor viewing, or a window to view from outside the building? If you have completely indoor viewing how do you manage the odor for your guests, and do they complain about the smell?
Any info or opinions about how to build an amazing new exhibit and barn are welcome.
Thanks

--------------------

Cassandra Sampson
Great Plains Zoo
Sioux Falls, SD
adam

Posted: Mar 13 2008, 03:49 PM
Cassandra,

Here at Columbus we have a rather large indoor viewing area for our black rhinos. I apologize but do not have the square footage, but have attached a picture (with a rhino in it) for you to look at. This space is pretty nice, and would allow for two compatible animals, however if done again we would put a structure (or "round-a-bout") in the middle of the room. We tried putting our breeding pair in there and because this structure was not present the female had a difficult time turning to face the male off during the pursuit. We are fairly confident if there was a round-a-bout in the area she would have been able to control the situation and we could have kept them together. The viewing area is behind glass in its own air conidtitioned area but still in the same building. Actually if you look at the picture we are standing over the viewing area. This room has its own air circulating units to decrease the smell, however our building is so big and has air exchange units that recirculates the air in the rhino space 8 times/hour there really is not much of an odor issue.

In my mind this is a very nice area for the rhino and the people viewing (of course we wish it could be bigger). If you have any questions feel free to email me at adam.felts@columbuszoo.org and I also suggest you send this request to internationalrhinokeeperassoc@gmail.com and the IRKA can send it out to their members and get even more feed back for you.

User Attached Image Download MWP_20061002_0012.jpg ( Number of downloads: 741 )

adam

Posted: Mar 13 2008, 03:50 PM
Here is the rest of the room and you can see where the door to the yard is

User Attached Image Download MWP_20061002_0013.jpg ( Number of downloads: 744 )

adam

Posted: Mar 13 2008, 03:50 PM
and one more angle

User Attached Image Download MWP_20061002_0014.jpg ( Number of downloads: 768 )

adam

Posted: Mar 13 2008, 03:52 PM
You can see our public area on the right in this picture.

User Attached Image Download MWP_20061002_0010.jpg ( Number of downloads: 741 )

nyukitx

Posted: Mar 17 2008, 03:58 AM
Cassandra,

We have a black rhino barn that is open to the public all year long. We are in the south and lucky enough to only have a few weeks a year when the rhinos must be kept in all day for weather concerns so they are usually in the building only at night or for special public presentations. However, the barn is open while we are cleaning. There are two antiquated exhaust fans and a few doors we can open to enable air flow. ALL we hear is how much it stinks; not only is this aggrivating as a keeper, but it can't do much other than detract from a visitor's experience and curiosity about the animals' nature. If there was one thing I could change about our barn, it would be good air circulation!
Taylor Kess

New User

Posted: May 31 2008, 01:09 AM
The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo in Cleveland, OH has a glass window that is elevated above the Rhino Barn so that the guests look at a slight down angle through the glass. The public is outside and on the inside of the glass is the rhino building. I also know that the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago, IL has a pachyderm building where the people walk into the building with no glass between the people and the rhino. They just have sloped concrete so the Rhinos don't escape. I hope this helps
-Taylor Kess

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]