user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Rhino Horn
Biology Teacher

New User

Posted: Jan 21 2009, 02:49 PM
I am a Biology teacher at Shrewsbury School. Our Biology Department has an impressive museum with some spectacular collections and specimens. Sadly, our rhino horn, which was almost 3ft long, was stolen last year.

It would be really great if we could replace it. Obviously, and quite rightly, a horn cannot simply be bought. Would it be possible to obtain one via the contacts on this forum? Even better, it would be great to establish a link between an organisation and the school so that our pupils might benefit directly. There is a thriving Darwin Society (Darwin was a pupil here) which would be happy to hold a lecture and there are regular trips to help with conservation projects around the world. We will visit Namibia in 2010 so there is real potential to build mutunally beneficial links.

I hope you can help.

Dr. Richard Case.
Willem

Administrator

Posted: Jan 22 2009, 04:26 PM
I think it would be difficult to get hold of a rhino horn. I forwarded your message to the IRF, as they may be able to help.

I do now remember a post from a while back...

Somebody had a rhino horn and needed to get it a good home: http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.c...-Horn_t95/1.php

Maybe you could contact him/her.

Good luck, oh and that school looks beautiful!

Willem

--------------------
Willem van Strien - Rhino Resource Center Admin
Kees

Posted: Jan 22 2009, 05:10 PM
There have been quite a number of thefts of rhino horns from museums in the past few years. It is certainly advisable that curators step up their security if they value these specimens in their collection.
I was wondering if you still have a photograph of the horns and if there were any data to go with it.
I hope that you will find a replacement, as long as it can be legally obtained, and maybe find a way of cooperating with others to replace such a valuable item. It is important for children to be able to feel the the rhino horn for them to understand its structure properly.

--------------------
Kees Rookmaaker
Biology Teacher

New User

Posted: Jan 22 2009, 05:37 PM
Dear Kees and Willem,

Many thanks for your replies. I have sent an email and await a reply.

It is a beautiful school and as a teacher, the museum collection provides a constant source of fabulous teaching aids, particularly when we cover adaptation and evolution.

Security is good as lessons have been learned the hard way.

Regarding procuring a new horn legally, if I can find a legitimate source, I will ensure that CITES and the relevant authorities are notified and that they approve of any movement.

Best wishes,

Richard.

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]