user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Baby in a barn
cydneyp

Posted: Jan 13 2010, 02:23 PM
I am looking for descriptions and pictures of modifications that institutions have done to prepare their barns for the arrival of a calf. Our black rhino barn uses concrete filled poles about 8" in diameter. The spacing between ranges from approximately 10"-14", and perhaps somewhat wider in a couple of places. Any suggestions that would keep a calf from squeeking through but would also stand up to long horns? The image of the female can be vued here at the RRC, just look for Racine #859. Perhaps add another 1-2" on the horns to the image shown. The sooner I get the info the better. biggrin.gif
CassandraS

Advanced Member

Posted: Jan 19 2010, 01:47 PM
Hi Cydneyp-
We had to modify our barn for a calf a few years ago. Our bars were steel, and square in shape, so it was a little different, but we had gaps up to 11". We put boards along the posts on the inside of the pen and then held them up by bolting them to 2x4s on the outside of the pens. We left a gap at the bottom to hose underneath, and then the height was one sheet of plywood, so 4'. We still wanted to be able to see in and didn't want the pen to be totally closed up. The female did damage the boards some at the top where she decided to rub down on the top, but surprisingly did not make any significant holes that we had to repair. It lasted for several months until we felt comfortable taking them down.

--------------------

Cassandra Sampson
Great Plains Zoo
Sioux Falls, SD
cydneyp

Posted: Feb 11 2010, 06:37 PM
CassandraS,

Thank you for the information. Sounds like there may be a couple of things that we could use. Too bad rhino holding isn't the same everywhere, then it would be easier to get info. I am hoping to get some more feedback on this one, so if you have any other connnections that can attest to their set up that would be great.

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]