user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Sumatran Rhino numbers
Feddi

Posted: Dec 2 2007, 01:51 PM
Sad to see on the IRF web side that the numbers of Sumatran rhinoceros are estimated down from 300, few years ago to fewer than 275 now.

They say the situation in Way Kambas and Bukit Barisan Selatan National Parks is stabilizing and possible on the up. These are the two areas where RPU are working hard protecting the rhinoceros and other wildlife.
The recently numerous population of Sumatra’s largest national park, Kerinci Sebalat, seems to have been whipped out by poachers all together. One can just imagine this must be also the case from other reserves, which had smaller populations and no RPU.

Sadly the information’s on the IRF web sides in the past must have come handy to poachers.

I think there is a case to try to translocations rhinos if any are left from the smaller parks where it is too expensive to have RPU in operation. I know captivity programs have been very expensive and limited success, well apart from the big success in Cincinnati.
One could imagine they could be kept together in a separate reserve with RPU, as one would be worried about infection etc.

Have not seen any recent data from Gunung Leuser National Park. This park has apparently similar population to BBS NP and they have RPU as well.

Similar or even sadder stories from Peninsular Malaysia.

Chinese medicine has a lot to answer for I am afraid.

But a Massive praise for all the good people working so hard in the Wonderful Rhino Protection Units

Best Regards

Jamie_W

New User

Posted: Jan 30 2008, 06:07 PM
At the moment, how many exactly are being held in captivity?

Am I right in thinking that there are 8 - 4 in the USA and 4 in Indonesia?
Feddi

Posted: Jan 30 2008, 07:20 PM
Hi Jamie

There are 4 at the Cincinnati zoo. An elderly male Iphu, Emi a 20 year old female and their two calves- Suci born in 2004 and Harapan born in 2007.

There are 5 rhinos at the Sumatran Rhino sanctury at Way Kampas NP, Sumatra. 2 Males, one old-Torgamba and one sub-adult- Andalas (the firs born of the Cincinnati pair).
One elderly female Bina, and two younger ones Ratu (cought in Way Kambas NP) and Rosa (cought in Bukit Barisan Selatan National Parks). Rosa is still not fully mature .

In Sepilok in northern Borneo, I belive there is still an elderly female in captivity. She is of the Borneo subspecies (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis Harrissoni).

So all in all 10 sumatran rhinoceroses in captivity world wide.

Best Regards
Jamie_W

New User

Posted: Jan 31 2008, 02:56 PM
Thankyou!

I'm just doing a project on the Sumatran Rhino, attempting to come up with an ex-situ conservation plan centred around population and genetic management. Without catching herds of the little guys from the wild, the numbers don't look good! sad.gif
Robert

New User

Posted: May 12 2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Jamie,

The breeding center in Sepilok is closed.
The female Gelugob has been brought to the zoo near Kota Kinabalu. I saw her last summer. She is the last Dicerorhinus sumatrensis harrissoni in captivity. Unfortunatly she is not fertile anymore, nearly blind and quite old. Tanjung died in Sepilok during a storm, hit by a branch, as far as I know.
At the moment there might be about 12-14 identified (by foodprints) individuals of Dicerorhinus sumatrensis harrissoni in the wild. The Bornesan subspecies is estimated to have less than 30-50 individuals at the moment - all restricted to Sabah. In Sarawak and Kalimantan the rhinos seem to have disappeared completely. But maybe there a still individuals left. The more surveys you make the more individuals you might find and it is really easy to miss the rare signes of the presence of rhinos during a survey as I learned it in Tabin...
Generally I am not a friend of the idea to translocate rhinos to zoos or other not suitable places. Only projects like the breeding center in Way Kampas where the rhinos live in their natural habitat with a minimum of space are a possibility in my opinion.
The danger that sumatran rhinos get caught to be brought to the US would be a reason for me to keep knowledge about remaining unknown individuals in the wild secret untill this possibility is excluded.
It is better to organize more projects like in Way Kampas NP for scattered and isolated individuals and to improve the protection of the wild populations
I attached a photo of Gelugob in the zoo 2007.

User Attached Image Download 019Rhinozoo.jpg ( Number of downloads: 1062 )

Rudi putra

New User

Posted: Nov 13 2008, 07:59 AM
I am Rudi from Leuser Ecosystem, Indonesia. I work for BPKEL, Special Body for Leuser Ecosystem Conservation Autority under Goverment of Aceh.
We have 20 rangers (RPU) for protect rhino habitat in Leuser. we estimated the population of rhino is 100 - 110 in all of Leuser Ecosystem.
Feddi

Posted: Nov 22 2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for these informations.
Never known much about the status of sumatran rhinos in the Leuser Ecosystem.

Do you know if the population is stable or in decline?
Me clearly hoping its´going in the right direction...

Many thanks

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]