Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
Rhino Resource Center: Rhino Forums > Rhinos In Situ > National parks in Asia > Hope in Sumatra

Posted by: Kees Dec 20 2009, 01:59 PM
Way Kambas, Sumatra. Andalas successfully mated with Ratu at 3:20 AM on December 5th 2009. A drop of semen was collected and the staff confirmed lots of motile sperm were present.

A great achievement.

Posted by: Rhinodude Dec 29 2009, 05:08 AM
Very good news indeed, hope this is a start of something big

Posted by: Feddi Jan 8 2010, 08:03 PM
Really, really good news!

Posted by: Willem Feb 17 2010, 04:39 PM
I just recieved word that Ratu is pregnant in SRS! hurray!!!

what great news!

Here's the press release: http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/index.php?s=1&act=refs&CODE=ref_detail&id=1266424849

Posted by: Rhinodude Feb 18 2010, 07:31 AM
This news is GREAT and at last, any news what is happening with the other female?.

Posted by: Feddi Feb 18 2010, 08:01 PM
Absolutely brilliant news!

Hope it goes well.
Keen to know if they are going to use progesteron?

Now they can focus on the other females.

Very Best wishes

Posted by: Willem Apr 1 2010, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately I just received a message that Ratu has lost her pregnancy. The IRF states the following:

While we are saddened by this loss, the fact that we achieved a pregnancy after only the third mating is still a victory.  Once Ratu is ready, the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary staff will resume efforts to achieve another pregnancy.  Emi lost a number of pregnancies early in gestation before successfully carrying a pregnancy to term, and we will draw on Cincinnati’s experience to help Ratu sustain her next pregnancy.

An official press release has been posted on a local news site in Cincinnati; I'm sure more releases will pop up shortly.

http://www.local12.com/guides/petcare/story/Cincinnati-Zoo-Rhino-WIll-Not-Be-A-Dad/d1csFqLN5kSg_5gQizM5mw.cspx

I'm very saddened by the news as I personally feel a connection with what happens in the SRS. I hope the team there will continue their efforts (which I'm sure they'll do) and that a new pregnancy is around the corner.

Posted by: dilandilan Sep 22 2014, 08:00 AM
that is a good news.... hope everyone do es similar works