user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Rhino conservation in Kenia
rhinocap

Posted: Jan 1 2008, 07:48 PM
I will be travelling to Kenia in August this year to assist on rhino ecological research. I am currently looking at possibilities to visit other rhino conservancies during my stay.

Does anyone have any (good) contacts to the rhino management areas of Ngulia in Tsavo N.P., Amboseli, Ol Pejeta and Nairobi N.P.?

I would very much appreciate any help.
Willem

Administrator

Posted: Jan 10 2008, 01:48 AM
Are you still going, after all this happened?
What will be the focus of your research?

Keep us posted and be carefull if you go!

--------------------
Willem van Strien - Rhino Resource Center Admin
Tom

Posted: Jan 10 2008, 10:20 PM
Hi,

I've been to Kenya last year. Lewa Wildlife Conservancy and Ngulia Rhino Sanctuary are excellent places to see and study black rhinos apparently. If you stay in a lodge in Lewa you get a chance to participate in fieldwork like tracking and tagging animals. And since they are very supportive of the local communities as well as rhinos it's money well spent! Nairobi National Park is very accessible and has a very high concentration of black rhinos, but I never went there myself. Not enough time... Furthermore I saw three black rhinos in Masai Mara but they are quite rare there so we were a bit lucky. It was the first time in over a year that our guide saw black rhinos there, so it's not an every day occasion. If you're interested in seeing white rhinos you definitely have to go to Lake Nakuru National Park, a fenced national park literally teeming with whites. They are everywhere: mothers with calves, fighting males,...

I don't have personal contacts or anything, but the website of Lewa Conservancy, www.lewa.org, has contacts for bookings or volunteer work...

By August the violence in Kenya will probably be in the past, at least I hope so, and I wish you a very nice trip!
rhinocap

Posted: Jan 11 2008, 06:54 AM
Thanx Tom,

I am personally well cool on Kenya. I know for a fact that the current political instability is not directed towards tourists or those wishing to do volunteer/scientific work (like me).

I am convinced that come August, the violence will have subsided completely and Kibaki may have done the sensible thing and made for new elections or at least a caretaker government that involves Odinga.

The reason I think so ...? I have been to Kenya right in the middle of the last elections (when Kibaki overwhelmed the then .. party state of KANU) and people were happy to discuss their minds on politics with you. No violence, no rough conversations or experiencing threats. People in Kenya are some of the most accomodating and friendly I have ever met.

Anyway, what I would like to do after the science bit, is travel to Solio Ranch near Mweka\Nyeri and Tsavo National Park and visit the Ngulia Rhino Sanctuary. These 2 specifically to see ranched rhinos!

Any more suggestions on good contacts or stay overs is more than welcome!
ktimko

New User

Posted: Jun 21 2008, 04:42 PM
Hi,
Are you still planning your trip to Kenya for August?

I am going to work on the EarthWatch Project "Saving Sweetwater's Rhinos" in Ol Pejeta in September. I would love to hear what you have learned about visiting additional conservation areas in Kenya. I am currently a Rhino Keeper and am absolutely THRILLED at this opportunity.

Thanks for sharing!
*Katie
rhinocap

Posted: Jun 23 2008, 12:01 AM
Hi Katie,

I am off on 23/8/2008 and to start on 25/8/2008. I have just got down to the business of checking for flights and make arrangements for the hotel. I plan to add on close on a week to visit Tsavo West/East, Chulyu and Nairobi NP to get a closer look at wild black rhinos.

Incidentally; which species are you working with at your zoo?

If I could give you a bit of advice for a practice run: read the book by Anna Merz on black rhino ecology! It is so educational!

You can also pm me if you so wish and exchange info on black rhinos both captive and wild.

Cheers,

Jelle
ktimko

New User

Posted: Nov 8 2008, 01:21 AM
Jelle,
How was your trip? I bet your experiences were incredible.
I was in Kenya/Tanzania for 5 weeks for research & vaccation. We went to Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Maasai Mara, and Ol Pejeta Conservancy. It was great to visit the National Parks and a private Conservancy. There are SO many people dedicated to the black and white rhino, it was inspirational.

But enough about me, tell me about your trip!
*Katie

ps - at my zoo we have black and white rhinos. Do you work with them in a zoo too?

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]