Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
Rhino Resource Center: Rhino Forums > Rhino Species > Sumatran Rhino > Sumatran Rhinos in breeding Centers

Posted by: ThomasW Jun 29 2011, 03:21 PM
Hello,
I just wanted to ask how many Sumatran rhinos remain in the breeding centers on Borneo and Sumatra? I think there are now 3 females, one male in Sumatra - are there still two in Borneo, or only the one male collected recently?

It is sad that of the 40 rhinos caught for breeding centers in the 90ties, only three or four seem to survive, and only a single female produced offspring. Are there any hopes that Bina might still reproduce, or did the breeding attempts stop? She might carry very valuable genes..
What happened to the 100 rhinos left on the Malaysian mainland?

I would be very grateful if anyone can answer these questions. With kind regards
-Thomas W

Posted by: DavidB Aug 9 2011, 03:06 PM
Hi thomas

As of June 2011, there were 9 wumatran rhinos kept in captivity.

As far as i know, there are 3 rhinos in USA (Cincinatti Zoo), 4 in Way Kambas Rhino Sanctuary (Sumatra) and 2 rhinos in a captive facility in Borneo (exact number to be checked).

The 100 rhinos on Malaysia mainland have been reduced to a handfull rhinos. According to the last published information there were in 2005 34-49 rhinos in three protected areas (Taman Negara, Royal Belum, Endau Rompin). But its unknown to what extent these estimates are reliable...

Best
David