user: pass:
prev. | next | track | email | print
Zoo photo identification?
nayer

New User

Posted: May 15 2015, 09:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone can help.
I remember seeing a white rhino in Alexandria Zoo (Egypt), and around 2000 we were told by the keeper that a genetic test had come back and shown that this animal was worth ten times its expected price. He quoted the new 'value' was $250,000. I wasn't sure why at the time but a few years later I guessed it might have been a Northern White [/Nile] Rhino.
I've just managed to find a couple of my photos of the animal, which sadly died a couple of years later. Unfortunately I don't have any details about the rhino itself, and they're relatively poor ID photos.
I'm not aware of any clear and straightforward criteria with which I can distinguish the [sub]species reliably (though I've heard 'hairy ears' is a helpful point).

I therefore have two questions:

1. Could this be a Northern White Rhino?
2. What's the bony growth on its shoulder hump? An elongated spinous process? I've never seen a similar prominent growth on any of the other (many) white rhinos I've seen. Reminiscent of Durer's
horn. smile.gif
nayer

New User

Posted: May 15 2015, 09:35 PM
My photo wasn't saved on the submitted reply.

User Attached Image Download scan0007.jpg ( Number of downloads: 1234 )

nayer

New User

Posted: May 15 2015, 09:35 PM
And the second photo.

User Attached Image Download scan0007__2_.jpg ( Number of downloads: 1232 )

nayer

New User

Posted: Jun 6 2015, 10:54 PM
Any thoughts?

[ Home ][ Literature ][ Rhino Images ][ Rhino Forums ][ Rhino Species ][ Links ][ About V2.0]